- The idea of Tommy assisting Mary in running and triathlons was inspired by Dick and Rick Hoyt. If you don't know about Team Hoyt, I encourage you to check out their website Team Hoyt. Competing in triathlons would not be possible if it weren't for the incredible support of Team Magic. Owners and race directors, Therese Bynum and Faye Yates, have allowed Team McAuley to enter their races with amazing support and assistance.
- Team McAuley is comprised of a family of five with a desire to help those with special needs that require assistance in participating in sports. Tommy and Rachel McAuley have 3 children. Grant, Griffin, and Mary. We also have had so many family members and friends help us out before, during, and after races. We can't thank you enough.
- Mary has Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Scoliosis, and gets around in a wheelchair. She is non-verbal and is fed by a G-tube. Although she can't walk or talk, she makes up for it by smiling all the time, even when sick or having a seizure.
- Tommy wanted Mary to be able to participate in some kind of sporting event like her brothers but she required assistance and wasn't eligible for several programs that are available to those in wheelchairs. Finally in 2005, he saw a video of Dick and Rick Hoyt. As he watched the video of those two doing the Hawaii Ironman, he decided that was what Mary could do, only on a smaller scale.
- Team McAuley has an Equipment Loan Program.
- Contact Team McAuley to find out how we can help get special needs children/adults that need assistance involved in any form of walking, running, biking or swimming.
112 Loch Leven Way
Hendersonville, TN 37075